Sabado, Setyembre 24, 2011

The Correct Opinion

My brother showed me the notes given to them for their class. There was one statement that got my attention.

"Chinese is the most beautiful language in the world."*

What?!

Okay, let's add some considerations. We talked about the beauty of the concise language called math equations which has the advantage of being understood by all. Now, let's talk about the beauty of Chinese.

English and Japanese(or at least what I heard) have some really strict rules. English may have a lot of words, but Chinese has the advantage of just writing it.

Here's an example.

I ate some hotdog.

English requires you to stick to rules like the Subject-Transitive Verb-Direct Object. This comes with advantages and disadvantages, but the biggest disadvantage is how confusing some rules get.

Chinese is simply "Anything works as long as it makes sense." I don't usually see a lot of rules. We weren't really taught any rule in making sentences. It was just putting random words to make sense. No rule that I know of.

This highlights the advantage of Chinese for creative writing. It is flexible enough that abusing it isn't that hard to abuse it. The rules in some other language stop you from abusing the language easily, but people always find a loophole, it's just a lot harder.

I can say that it is a beautiful language, but some people prefer limits and constraints while others hate it. It's simply an opinion. The problem is when they use opinions as the correct answer in a test.

Media_httpwwwcodeduit_zujzu

I'm not kidding. The test they had asked, "What's the most beautiful language?"
The test demanded you to write Chinese as the answer. If you wrote something else like Latin, you're wrong.

I could see you getting mad, ready to go to forums and condemn the Chinese educational system. Let me ask you this, What about the social studies topics that say Chinese are smart efficent machines programmed to be good at math and science, but suck at creativity?

I may not have access to any current social studies textbook, but the ones I encounter talk about how conservative this country was or how Westerners basically don't care about their family members. Yes, that is actually written in some textbooks. Deal with it.


Some standardized tests DEMAND that you classify a certain race as industrious or stupid. They could talk about demographics, statistics or even countries where the most terrorists came from, but everyone is an individual with their own personality.

So now we should ban social studies, right? Wasn't that the point?

NO.

I want you to look at how some things are taught to children. Don't be surprised if some people who aced standardized tests join the Klan.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0eagV2BSsKY72LyGx-WLZPF1f1up2kw7NOjQe0KLzIpJgWRdegQ

No, Texan conservatives. You are not getting away. I have a horde of LARPers waiting at your backyard. If you want to fight, let's settle this one on one at the back of McDonald's. Yes, THAT McDonald's.

I simply want to change your educational system, even if I barely know your history. I may not know what your significance was, but kicking out Thomas Jefferson, your FOUNDING FATHER, out of the curriculum for a more opinionated and conservative history lesson is NOT smart.

I know my economics and he happens to have made some smart moves. Unlike the moves the that lead to the recession you just suffered through.

All I could say is that I'm scared. I'm scared that schools from east to west are teaching opinions. Demanding that some opinions are be correct. An opinion is something personal. If we are forced to conform to a set of opinions, then I'd rather be a hacktivist than listen to your crap.

Also, if you are some guy from the CIA assessing threats,I have never been able to successfully kill a fly in my entire life. The oldest guy I have beaten up was 2 years old. That is all I could say about my potential as a terrorist.

*It was written in Chinese, obviously. I translated it.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento